When people think about starting their own business, a restaurant or a clothing line are what usually come to mind. Rarely do starting entrepreneurs think about launching a moisturizer brand, probably because they don’t know how. But if they only knew how easy and profitable it can be, they’d probably jump on the chance right away. So, if you want to know how to launch your own lotion business, then read on.
1. Create your lotion
You might think that creating a lotion requires heavy machinery and a dozen chemists. But, the truth is you can do this in your very own kitchen with only a few tools. All you need are some basic ingredients, such as almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, beeswax, vitamin E oil, cocoa butter or shea butter, vanilla extract, and essential oils.
Take note, however, that these ingredients are just the ones you need for your first attempt, particularly if you haven’t done this before. If your first attempt is a success, that’s the time you start adding other ingredients so that you can come up with a unique concoction.
Take a portion of each ingredient:
- ¼ cup of beeswax
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of almond or jojoba oil
- 2 tbsp of cocoa or shea butter
- 1 tsp of vitamin E oil (optional)
- vanilla extract or any other essential oils you prefer (optional)
Then, take the following steps:
- Mix the almond or jojoba oil with the beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler. You can also use a glass bowl. Add the cocoa or shea butter to the mix, too.
- Heat the ingredients until they melt. Stir the ingredients to make sure that they mix well.
- When the mixture is melted, you can add your essential oils or any scent you like. You can also add vitamin E oil if you want to use this in your lotion.
- Once done, you can pour your homemade lotion into a jar. Experts say that you should use mason jars and that homemade lotions don’t work well with pump bottles. After that, your lotion is ready to use.
2. Build your brand
Once you’re done creating your lotion, you can start defining your brand. Think of the people you want to sell your lotion to. For example, if millennials are your target market, do some research and see what’s trending among the younger generation. Or, if you want your product to benefit people with skin sensitivities, conceptualize a brand that’s focused more on alleviating skin-related problems like dry skin.
3. Take care of the legalities
You also need to acquaint yourself with the legal framework of launching your lotion business. Say, you want to promote your lotion as a hypoallergenic brand or as a healing formula for people with skin problems such as eczema, you need to run that first with a lawyer to see if you’re qualified to make such claims.
4. Rent equipment
Now, if you’re going to sell your lotion in bulk, you’re going to need some heavy-duty equipment to automate your manufacturing and packaging processes. You need to speak with a filling machine manufacturer, for one, to get the right kind of equipment to fill up your lotion bottles efficiently.
5. Plan a marketing strategy
Finally, come up with a marketing plan to promote your lotion to the market. Consult with digital marketers because online marketing is what you need to make it in the industry.
So, if you’ve thought about launching your own lotion before, now’s the time to push through with your dream. With the power of the internet, you can learn how to create your own moisturizer and then, promote it online. It’s the best time to make your dream a reality.